Veterans Memorial Hospital will be offering a variety of free health tests and education at the 2019 Allamakee County Fair. Testing and educational materials will change daily and will include the following schedule:
- Wednesday, July 17, 6:00-9:00 p.m.— Free Chair Massages by Veterans Memorial Hospital certified massage therapists Shannen Mezera, Vicki Klepper and Crystal Corwin.
- Thursday, July 18, 4:00-8:00 p.m.— Free blood sugar and diabetes testing by Angie Mettille, RN, Certified Diabetes Educator, of the Veterans Memorial Hospital Diabetes Department.
- Friday, July 19, 2:00-6:00 p.m.— Special displays on correct, safe infant and child car seats as well as Maternity Services information provided by Brianne Leikvold, RN, Maternity Services Supervisor at Veterans Memorial Hospital.
- Saturday, July 20, 4:00-7:00 p.m.— Hands Only CPR Instructions by Machelle Bulman, RN, Director of Nursing at Veterans Memorial Hospital.
- Sunday, July 21, Noon-4:00 p.m.—Free blood pressure checks by the Veterans Memorial Hospital Community and Home Care Nurses.
Veterans Memorial Hospital will also be offering hands on “Stop the Bleed Training” that will be offered the entire time the Pavilion building is open. Adults and Children will learn how to quickly stop a life-threatening bleed by packing a puncture wound or laceration and even learn how to safely apply a tourniquet for heavy bleeds. A booklet will also be handed out giving step by step instructions to all those who pass by. Participation prizes will be awarded as well as many door prizes.
As always, Veterans Memorial Hospital will have a medical kit available for any first aide emergencies on the Fairgrounds. The hospital booth will be located inside the Fairgrounds Pavilion building on the stage area.